Construction companies are known for their tough working conditions, intricate processes, and highly skilled workforce. But what if I told you that adding an internship program to your construction company could be a game-changer? Internship programs have been known to have numerous advantages for both the company and the intern. Here’s a look at the impact a construction company can have by adding an internship program.
Advantages to the Company:
- Fresh Perspective: Interns bring a fresh perspective to the company, which can be incredibly beneficial. They have an eagerness to learn, ask questions, and challenge existing processes, which can help identify areas for improvement.
- Cost-Effective: Hiring an intern is a cost-effective way to get some extra help during busy seasons. Instead of hiring a full-time employee, the company can hire interns for a specific period to complete a project or assist with tasks.
- Recruitment: Internship programs can also be an effective recruitment tool. It’s an opportunity for the company to identify and train potential candidates for full-time positions. Additionally, interns who have had a positive experience are more likely to refer others to the company.
- Increased Productivity: Interns can help increase the productivity of the company. They can take on tasks that would otherwise be put on hold, freeing up time for full-time employees to work on other important projects.
Advantages to the Intern:
- Hands-on Experience: Interns get hands-on experience in the field, which is invaluable. It’s an opportunity to apply the skills they’ve learned in school to real-life situations.
- Skill Development: Interns have the opportunity to develop new skills and improve existing ones. They can learn from experienced professionals and gain insight into the construction industry.
- Networking: Internship programs provide interns with an opportunity to network with professionals in the industry. They can make connections that could help them secure a job in the future.
- Resume Builder: Internship programs are a great addition to a resume. It shows potential employers that the intern has practical experience in the field, which could give them an edge over other candidates.
Establishing an Internship Program:
Establishing an internship program can be a bit daunting, but it’s not as complicated as it may seem. Here’s a brief overview of the steps involved:
- Define Objectives: The first step is to define the objectives of the internship program. What do you hope to achieve? What tasks will the interns be responsible for? What skills do you want them to learn?
- Identify Positions: Once you have defined the objectives, you can identify the positions that need to be filled. This will help you determine how many interns you need and what skills they should possess.
- Develop Job Descriptions: Job descriptions should be developed for each position. They should outline the responsibilities, skills required, and qualifications.
- Determine Compensation: You should determine whether the internship will be paid or unpaid. If paid, you’ll need to determine the compensation rate.
- Create a Recruitment Strategy: You’ll need to develop a recruitment strategy to attract potential candidates. This may include posting job descriptions on job boards or reaching out to universities and colleges.
- Develop an Onboarding Process: Once interns are hired, you’ll need to develop an onboarding process. This should include an orientation, training, and an introduction to the company and its culture.
Adding an internship program can have a significant impact on a construction company. It provides benefits for both the company and the intern. The company can gain a fresh perspective, save money, recruit potential candidates, and increase productivity. Interns gain hands-on experience, develop new skills, network with professionals, and build their resumes. Establishing an internship program requires defining objectives, identifying positions, developing job descriptions, determining compensation
Why Growing Construction Companies Need to Make the Move for Operations, Project Management, and Document Control
As the construction industry continues to evolve and grow, so do the challenges and complexities of managing operations, project management, and document control. Traditional methods of managing construction processes can be cumbersome, time-consuming, and prone to errors. This is where the cloud comes in as a game-changer for growing construction companies. Cloud-based solutions offer a multitude of benefits that can help construction companies streamline their operations, enhance project management, and improve document control, ultimately leading to increased efficiency, productivity, and profitability.
The construction industry is known for its dynamic nature, with project volumes, team sizes, and data requirements constantly changing. Cloud-based solutions provide the scalability construction companies need to adapt to these changes seamlessly. With the cloud, construction companies can easily scale their resources, storage, and computing power up or down based on their project needs and business requirements. This allows for greater flexibility and agility in managing operations, project management, and document control, without the need for upfront investments in infrastructure or facing delays in provisioning.
Accessibility and Collaboration:
Construction projects involve various stakeholders, including team members, subcontractors, suppliers, and clients, who may be spread across different locations. Cloud-based solutions enable construction companies to centralize their operations, project management, and document control in a virtual environment that can be accessed securely from anywhere, at any time. This fosters real-time collaboration, information sharing, and coordination among project stakeholders, leading to improved communication, faster decision-making, and streamlined workflows. Team members can access and update project information in real-time, reducing delays and rework, and ensuring everyone is on the same page.
Data Management and Security:
Construction projects generate copious amounts of data, from blueprints and contracts to budgets and schedules, which need to be managed efficiently and securely. Cloud-based solutions offer robust data management capabilities, including automated backups, version control, and document tracking, which can help construction companies organize, store, and retrieve data with ease. Cloud providers also implement advanced security measures, such as encryption, access controls, and regular audits, to protect data from unauthorized access, loss, or breaches. This ensures that critical project information is secure, compliant, and backed up, reducing the risk of data loss or theft.
Managing and maintaining on-premises infrastructure for operations, project management, and document control can be expensive. Cloud-based solutions offer a cost-effective alternative. With cloud-based solutions, construction companies can avoid upfront investments in hardware, software, and maintenance. Instead, they can subscribe to a subscription model, allowing them to optimize costs based on their actual usage. Cloud solutions also eliminate the need for costly upgrades or replacements of aging infrastructure, as the responsibility for infrastructure maintenance rests with the cloud provider. This frees up financial resources that can be invested in other critical areas of the business.
Innovation and Integration:
Cloud-based solutions are constantly evolving and offer advanced features and functionalities that can drive innovation and enhance construction processes. These may include analytics, automation, machine learning, and integration with other software applications or tools. For example, cloud-based solutions can integrate with Computer-Aided Design (CAD) tools, Building Information Modeling (BIM) software, and Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems, creating a seamless workflow across different departments and teams. This allows construction companies to leverage cutting-edge technology and best practices for improved project outcomes, better decision-making, and increased competitiveness in the market.
In today’s fast-paced and competitive construction industry, growing construction companies need to embrace the cloud for operations, project management, and document control. Cloud-based solutions offer numerous benefits, including scalability, accessibility and collaboration, data management and security, cost.
StratusVue’s Clean Technology for the Built Environment
As the world continues to grapple with the urgent need to address climate change, the construction industry, which accounts for a significant portion of global greenhouse gas emissions, is under increasing pressure to adopt sustainable practices. In this pursuit, StratusVue, a leading technology company, is making waves with its innovative clean technology solutions for the built environment.
StratusVue is an established clean technology company that is revolutionizing the way construction projects are managed and executed. Their cutting-edge platform leverages cloud-based technology, data analytics, and artificial intelligence to streamline construction processes, reduce waste, and minimize environmental impact.
One of the keyways in which StratusVue is driving sustainability in the built environment is through its digital document management system. Traditionally, construction projects generate massive amounts of paper documents, including blueprints, contracts, permits, and more. These paper-based processes are not only time-consuming and costly but also contribute to deforestation and waste.
StratusVue’s digital document management system replaces paper-based workflows with electronic documents that can be stored, accessed, and shared securely on the cloud. This eliminates the need for physical copies, reduces paper waste, and minimizes the carbon footprint associated with printing, shipping, and storing paper documents. Furthermore, the platform offers advanced search and analytics capabilities, allowing construction teams to quickly find and retrieve important documents, improving productivity and reducing the risk of errors.
Another notable feature of StratusVue’s clean technology is its robust data analytics capabilities. The platform collects and analyzes data from various sources, to provide real-time insights and predictive analytics. This data-driven approach enables construction teams to optimize resource allocation, schedule tasks more efficiently, and minimize waste.
StratusVue’s clean technology also incorporates artificial intelligence (AI). StratusLink reads the contents of your construction documents and automatically reads, references and links the content within your cloud-based documents. No longer are the days of manually setting regions, defining patterns or needing a full-time Document Control employee to manually hyperlink the documents. It doesn’t end with just hyperlinking, StratusLink relates the drawings to other StratusVue products, like the Project Management section of Plans and Specs and StratusDrive.
In addition to its environmental benefits, StratusVue’s clean technology also offers economic advantages to construction companies. By optimizing construction processes, reducing waste, and improving productivity, the platform helps companies’ lower costs and increase profitability. Furthermore, by embracing sustainability and demonstrating environmentally responsible practices, construction companies can enhance their reputation, attract environmentally conscious clients, and gain a competitive edge in the market.
StratusVue’s clean technology is transforming the construction industry by promoting sustainability in the built environment. Its digital document management system, data analytics capabilities, and AI are empowering construction companies to streamline processes, reduce waste, and minimize environmental impact. By adopting StratusVue’s innovative technology, construction companies can not only achieve their sustainability goals but also reap economic benefits and gain a competitive advantage. It’s time for the construction industry to embrace clean technology and pave the way towards a more sustainable future.
Boosting Productivity, Collaboration, and Success
As businesses strive to achieve their goals and deliver projects on time and within budget, the right project management software can make all the difference. However, it’s not just about having powerful features and robust functionality; usability plays a crucial role in determining the success of project management software. In this blog, we will explore why exceptional usability matters in project management software and how it can benefit businesses.
Enhanced User Experience
A positive user experience is critical for any software, including project management tools. When project management software is easy to use, team members can quickly adapt to it, reducing the learning curve and minimizing errors. Intuitive interfaces, clear navigation, and straightforward features make it easy for users to create, assign, and track tasks, set deadlines, manage resources, and monitor progress. A smooth and enjoyable user experience boosts user satisfaction, productivity, and adoption rates, as team members are more likely to actively engage with the software and leverage its capabilities to manage their projects effectively.
Productivity is a key factor in project success, and exceptional usability in project management software can significantly impact productivity. When software is intuitive and easy to use, team members can focus on their core responsibilities rather than getting bogged down with complicated software interfaces or processes. They can quickly input and access project information, collaborate with team members, and make informed decisions. This streamlined workflow helps teams work more efficiently, leading to improved productivity, reduced errors, and timely project completion.
Effective collaboration is essential for successful project management, and usability plays a critical role in facilitating collaboration among team members. Project management software with exceptional usability provides collaborative tools such as comments, notifications, document sharing, and real-time updates, making it easy for team members to communicate, share information, and work together seamlessly. When team members find the software easy to use, they are more likely to actively participate in the project management process, providing updates, sharing feedback, and collaborating effectively. This results in improved teamwork, better communication, and ultimately, better project outcomes.
Cost and Time Savings
Usability issues in project management software can lead to wasted time, effort, and costly errors. Team members may struggle with complex interfaces, leading to delays and mistakes. Exceptional usability reduces the risk of errors, minimizes the need for extensive training and support, and ensures that team members can quickly and easily access the information they need to perform their tasks. This saves time and costs, as team members can focus on their work rather than struggling with the software, and projects can progress smoothly without unnecessary delays or rework.
User adoption is crucial for the success of any software implementation. If project management software lacks usability, team members may resist using it, resulting in low adoption rates and underutilization of the software’s capabilities. On the other hand, exceptional usability encourages team members to embrace the software as a valuable tool for managing their projects. When team members find the software easy to use and beneficial in their day-to-day work, they are more likely to adopt it willingly. This results in higher user engagement, better data input, and improved project visibility, leading to more successful project outcomes.
Exceptional usability in project management software is essential for businesses aiming to improve their project management practices and achieve successful project outcomes. Usability enhances user experience, increases productivity, promotes collaboration, saves time and costs, and boosts user adoption. Businesses should prioritize usability when evaluating project management software to ensure that their teams can work efficiently, collaborate effectively, and achieve project success. Invest in project management software with exceptional usability to empower your teams and elevate your project management practices to new heights.
Collaboration and Connecting the Field to the Office. Tina Salcido, Savant Construction, Inc.
Obstacle: Connecting the Field to the Office for Potential Change Orders and Work Orders
Solution: StratusVue’s Issues Tracking, creating the item on the mobile app and linking the item to a change event within the project.
Overview: The Savant team needed a method to create and track both potential change orders and work orders that originate in the field and have that item be supplied to the office. The items both contain relevant job site information and attachments such as pictures to support the item. Savants field team is using the StratusVue mobile app to create both the work orders and the potential changes order within the issues section of project management. This item allows for the field to create the item and the office to complete a review prior to creating a change event.
Quote: ” The StratusVue App allowed for both our field and office to be connected and streamline our process of creating and presenting change events. The app is intuitive and easy for our field to use, they can even work offline if the job site has poor reception. The Savant SOP has been improved with the implementation of StratusVue. Our method to capture and record activity in the field and seamlessly share it with the office has been a welcomed change” Tina Salcido, Savant Construction, Inc.
More Information: Request a Demo
StratusVue looks internally for where the Construction Industry is going
Featuring: Samantha Leidy
Cost of change to technology.
The cost of adopting new technology can vary greatly depending on several factors such as the type of technology, the complexity of implementation, the size of the organization, and the resources available. Some common costs associated with adopting new technology include:
- Initial purchase or subscription fees
- Training and professional development for employees
- Integration with existing systems
- Technical support and maintenance
- Downtime during the transition period
It’s important for organizations to carefully evaluate the costs and benefits of new technology before making a decision to adopt it. In some cases, the benefits such as increased efficiency and improved productivity can outweigh the costs in the long run.
Technology and organization of data.
The organization of data is critical for efficient and effective technology use. Good data organization enables quick and easy access to the information needed, reduces duplicates, improves data quality, and supports data analysis and decision-making. Some ways that technology can help with the organization of data include:
- Database management systems (DBMS): These are computer programs that allow you to store, manage, and retrieve data in a structured way. Examples of DBMS include SQL databases and NoSQL databases.
- Data warehousing: This is a technology that enables organizations to store large amounts of data in a centralized location for analysis and reporting. Data warehousing systems are optimized for data retrieval and can support complex queries and analysis.
- Cloud storage: This is a technology that allows organizations to store data on remote servers and access it over the internet. Cloud storage can provide scalable and flexible data storage solutions and can reduce the need for physical storage infrastructure.
- Data visualization tools: These are tools that help present data in a visual format, making it easier to understand and analyze. Examples of data visualization tools include charts, graphs, and dashboards.
Effective technology and data organization can lead to better data management and more informed decision-making, ultimately leading to improved efficiency and success for organizations.
Record keeping and collaboration with team members and software.
Record keeping and collaboration with team members can be improved with the use of appropriate software. There are several types of software that can support record keeping and collaboration, including:
- Project management software: This type of software helps teams plan, track, and manage projects, tasks, and deadlines. It can also provide tools for team communication, document sharing, and record keeping.
- Collaborative documents and spreadsheets: Tools like Google Docs and Microsoft Office 365 allow teams to work on documents and spreadsheets simultaneously in real-time, making it easy to track changes and collaborate on projects.
- Customer relationship management (CRM) software: CRM software is designed to manage interactions with customers and can be used for record keeping, tracking sales, and managing customer information.
- File management software: This type of software provides a centralized location for storing and organizing files, making it easier for team members to access the information they need.
By using software to support record keeping and collaboration, teams can improve efficiency, reduce errors, and increase transparency. However, it’s important to choose software that meets the specific needs of the team and organization and to provide adequate training and support to ensure successful implementation and use.
Obstacle: Unable to access or evaluate project data.
Solution: StratusVue Open APIs and visualizations provide complete access to view the organizations project data.
Overview: As a General Contractor, Todd Musser at Dan Vos Construction Company, found true value in having access to their project data through the StratusVue open APIs. They are now able to guide their business decisions and improvements to various levels within the Organization. Specifically, allowing their leadership team to make data driven decisions by utilizing PowerBI to visualize high-level performance data, then drilling into project and individual detailed metrics.
Quote: “Having access to our data at any time gives us the ability to make educated business decisions, not only for projects but as an organization. It’s a true competitive advantage.”
More Info: Request a Demo
Obstacle: Present to the Customer with a branded product that is as unique as your company.
Solution: StratusVue’s Enterprise Subscription offers the Organization control over your domain, mobile app, branding and layout for your construction software.
Overview: As a private site, FUSE Group and StratusVue have rolled out a single tenant site branded to their specific company. As the lead of Technology with the FUSE Group, Alex Tsouvalas led the search to find the software solution that would meet the complex demands of his team and leadership of a group company.
Want more: Read the Fuse Group press release: StratusVue Press Release
More Info: Request a Demo
Obstacle: Maintain Consistency and Culture within Multiple Locations.
Solution: The StratusVue Platform provides flexibility and consistency to foster uniformity and independence within each affiliate location.
Overview: SteelFab organization has many offices within many states. They needed a solution to provide consistency in communication while accommodating for the uniqueness of each office. Michael and Rhonda have been able to implement successfully with power users that know the both the SteelFab SOP and StratusVue.
Want More: Watch the Full Interview with Michael and Rhonda: StratusVue’s Guest Speaker Series: SteelFab, Inc. – StratusVue
More Info: Request a Demo